Welcome, James Bowie High School!
Everything you need for your virtual performance is below!
Teachers of Bowie High School, we want you to be a part of this video!
Click the button below for instructions.
Dear Faculty –
The Bowie Band is putting together a Virtual Performance to celebrate the start of the school year and we’d love for you to be involved. The process to contribute to the project takes less than 5 minutes and would mean the world to our students and Bowie community.
All you’d need to do is:
- Wear your favorite Bowie shirt (or if you don’t have one, a red, grey, or black one will do!)
- Stand in front of a blank wall
- Listen to the attached audio file and film yourself (or have someone film you!) doing the Bowie “Pinky Sway” all the way through, making sure that your arms and hands stay in the frame at all times
- At the very end, wave for a couple of seconds and then give us the Bowie Bulldog Hand Sign (shown in the image)
- Be sure to film in LANDSCAPE (with your phone turned sideways!)
- Upload the video here!
- The deadline to submit is NOON on Wednesday, August 12.
Thank you and best of luck with the start of the school year!
Bowie Band Staff
Bulldog Hand Sign
Download and listen to your click track!
You must listen to the provided click track while you record to make sure that your part lines up with everyone else!
You must listen to the click track with headphones when you record. This is so we don’t hear it on the final recording!
Follow the instructions on the recording by clapping on count 9 at the beginning and end of the click track.
Download and Practice your music!
Make sure that you understand every rhythm, articulation, and technical passage.
Get used to the space
Practice in the space where you’ll record, so that it’s super easy when it’s time to perform.
Once you can comfortably play all notes and rhythms at tempo, practice along with the clicktrack to make sure your pitch and timing is spot on.
Prepare your personal recording studio
Pick a Tidy Location
Choose an uncluttered indoor area without a ton of stuff in the background.
Erase Background Noise
Turn off all fans, A/C (ask permission first!), TV, and anything else that could interfere with your recording.
Turn off Notifications
Set your phone to Airplane Mode and Do Not Disturb to avoid ruining your best take.
Frame your perfect angle
Film in Landscape (Sideways)
Be sure to use the rear camera on your phone for the highest quality!
Make sure YOU are in the frame!
Set-up your video so that you are facing your camera and your face and instrument are clearly visible.
Check your Lighting
Make sure the brightest light in the room is in front of you! Check for any shadows or dark spots.
Record like a pro.
Get your music ready
Make sure your chair, music stand, music, and headphone cables are set-up that you can quickly and easily start the click track and get into position to perform.
Start recording BEFORE you start the click track
Count the clicks while you get ready to play. On the 9th Click, Clap 1-time.
Record straight through the piece, counting through all rests and the 9 extra clicks at the end.
After your last note, you may bring your instrument down and smile towards the camera.
Follow the instructions and wave towards the camera when it calls for it after the 5th click.
Submit your performance
Check your Work
- Listen and watch your video. Are you in frame?
- Is your sound clear or is it distorted?
- Did you miss any notes, rhythms, or articulations?
- Check for anything that may be distracting and re-record if you see or hear anything that is out of place.
Upload your performance recording
Once you’re happy with your performance, use the UPLOAD button below to submit your recording!
Upload your school spirit recording
Show your Bowie pride by submitting a video of you performing the Bowie “Pinky Sway” all the way through, making sure that your arms and hands stay in the frame at all times.
At the very end, wave for a couple of seconds and then give us the Bowie Bulldog Hand Sign!